Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Telemarketing

We all hate those calls, right? And now, since I have Caller ID, I don't have to answer any of the calls. However, that doesn't stop them from calling. And calling, and calling.

A few minutes ago, I got a call from "Active Periodicals." I answered so I could ask them to take me off their calling list. Lately, I've been getting 3-4 calls a day from telemarketers (is that a word? It looks funny). Anyway, the woman on the other end asks for Mrs. Silvia. That's not my last name. Close, but no. I say,
"There is no one here by that name. Could you please remove my number from your calling list?"

"If you aren't the person we are calling, then your number isn't on our list. You're so dumb."

And she hung up on me! Can you believe it? I'm minding my own business, answer the phone, and get called dumb.

So, I try to call the number right back (it's displayed along with the name of the caller on Caller ID). I get a message that the company won't accept blocked phone numbers. I call back on my cell phone. I get a message that the voice mailbox is full. So, I look them up online and this is what I found.

I wanted to call and complain to the manager or whomever, but after looking over the other complaints, I guess I'm kinda lucky I didn't get through to anyone.

Man.

Oh, and the Salvation Army wouldn't take my old couch away. There were two pencil eraser size dots on the bottom front of it, which meant it was "stained." Gosh. I've seen much crappier things at the thrift store. Guess I'm going to have to figure out how to get it down to the main street near my house. Put a sign on it that says $25 and you know for sure, someone will come along and take it.

Who's got a truck when you need one?

3 comments:

r said...

What, you aren't going to drive out her to help me? Well!

I just resigned up with the Do Not Call registry. I had signed up about three years ago, but all of a sudden, started getting more calls.

Grr..

Chunks said...

I hate telemarketers. Not as individuals, as I am sure they are all just trying to make a living, but collectively? Hate them. I usually ignore them but sometimes I will pick up the phone click it on and then off in one fell swoop. It drives me wild!

tornwordo said...

Yeah, I just don't answer unless I know the person. We get about 6 calls a day from 800 numbers.