Friday, July 21, 2006

Memories

This summer I chose not to work. So far, it's been great. I've been visiting with old friends, walking every day on the beach with the dog wonder, getting some things done around the old homestead, you know, all the things we wish we had more time for.

I've also had quite a bit of time alone in my head. This isn't always a good thing, since I'm basically a narcissist, and think about me, me, me, most of the time.

Lately, I've been thinking about the relationships I have or have had. Over the last couple of weeks, I've been able to spend time with several old friends. Why do we choose the friends we have? Sometimes we pursue the friendship, sometimes we are the ones pursued, but what makes it last? What's the glue in the first place, and what cements it (or causes it to fall apart) later? Why am I willing to put up with crap from one person, yet cannot tolerate the same crap from another?

How does love factor into this? Romantic attraction? Physical attraction? And in the case of old friends, history? How does our history affect our present situation?

Then, factor into this equation that three of the friends I've seen over the last month, all have histories with each other in addition to me. How does that further complicate or enrich our relationship?

And really, does it matter at all?

Being that I'm my favorite topic, yes.

Watch for future posts about each of these people.

Or don't. It's not like any of them read this anyway.

1 comment:

chella said...

enjoyed your post! we're home. tomorrow i'm splurging--getting a facial! will call in the afternoon. love, c