Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I love Ebay

So, there's this stuff, Spun Gold Hair Balm by John Frieda.


When I had short hair a few years ago, I discovered it. It was perfect. Not too gloppy, but sticky enough to hold my hair the way I wanted. It didn't make me look like I had a helmet on my head, but really controlled the hair. It wasn't funky smelling, nor did it dry crunchy. It also had a tiny bit of sparkle to it.

All in all, good stuff. Cheap too; you could buy it at a drugstore. None of this $18 hair gel for me.

Well, on one of our many Vegas trips, I saw that Torn also used it for his locks. We talked about it's many wonderful qualities. Good times.

Then he moved to Montreal with his spouse. Not such good times for me. I missed my friend.

We talked on the phone often, made plans for me to visit over Spring Break.

A few months after he left, during one of our calls, he reported sadly that the Spun Gold wasn't available in Canada, and could I bring some out? Oh boy, a mission!

So I brought him some, but by then, it was gracing the shelves in Montreal's drugstores, but he said "thank you" anyway.

Then, I grew my hair out. No need for Spun Gold, or any other gel or goo for my hair. Just lots of conditioner to keep it smooth.

A year ago, I cut it off again. Saw my pictures from wedding I was in and realized two things: I was not meant to have long hair, and I was fat. Took measures to fix both problems.

But.

Alas, the Spun Gold was no longer in the stores. I talked to Torn. Had he seen it lately? Nope. He said he was bummed because he couldn't find it anymore.

We both moved on to other hair products. He found something he liked, some Got2B Hair Glue or something like that. I wasn't so successful.

In the picture, you can see all my attempts at a replacement hair product. None were satisfactory. I did my best with Chunky Monkey and Out of Bed, but nothing was as good as Spun Gold.

I made do.

Then, in the bathroom at our hotel in Vegas, I saw, in Torn's open dit'ty bag (am I the only person who uses that term any more?), and lo and behold, a shining silver tin of Spun Gold!

"Where did you get that?" I demanded.

"Oh, it's back in the stores. I may have even bought two."

So, for the remainder of our trip, I used it every day. Still as fabulous as I remember. He said he'd get some for me when he went home.

Then, the other night, I had the idea. What about Ebay? They always have everything.

Sure enough.

Three tins of Spun Gold are on their way to me right now. $18, including shipping.

I'm set.

1 comment:

tornwordo said...

Okay then. Mission accomplished!