Thursday, May 04, 2006

Tired tonight

But I'm waiting for my laundry to finish. Actually, only one of the loads. I'll put the other in the dryer tomorrow morning, early. I'm just too beat to stay up late again tonight. And, if I put my wet stuff in the dryer at 11 pm, it will be all wrinkled when I get it tomorrow.

The banality of my life can really get to me sometimes.

I took the day off tomorrow, and will drive to Chatsworth to be with my sister when my father and his wife visit. It will be the first time I've seen him since he stopped talking to me a couple of years ago. We've had a few sparse emails since then, and I figure, he's my dad, so I'll suck it up.

You know though, I have no clue what we will talk about. I was running through possible topics, and I've come up with only two: the weather and food.

That's it. I went crazy a couple of days ago, figuring out all kinds of things to do; go to the Reagan library and museum, go miniature golfing, movies, a comedy show... I'm trying to fill up as much time as I can, to avoid any kind of interaction. I'm nervous that I won't be able to shut my mouth if he says something racist or generally asinine.

My sister has a totally different idea. I don't know who she thinks is coming to visit her, but it's not the same man I'm expecting.

"Oh, I thought we could barbecue here at my house, you know, to save money. We could play board games, too. We don't have to go out."

This from the girl who bought herself a white, multi-colored, leather appliqued, Coach purse for $400 because she saw it in a magazine and "had to have it."

What is she talking about, saving money? Who's money? What about my sanity?

Ugh.

I'll get back to you all on Sunday.

Be well.