Friday, April 28, 2006

I remember

I remember things -- events-- more than most people. I don't really know why. Maybe because I used to keep such a detailed journal. The act of writing the things down perhaps cements the memories in my head.

But not everything I remember has been written down.

Something I don't remember much of was actually dancing the night I went to the Homecoming dance my junior year.

It was in the school cafeteria, and it was dark, and one of the girls was upset because she was being ignored.

Oh yeah, that was me.

It seemed my date was having more fun dancing with his buddies than he was with dancing with me. I remember crying a little in the bathroom, and being consoled by my friends.

After the dance, we went with three other couples to Heidi's Pies. It's now long gone, but it was the only place back then in Goleta that stayed open past eleven at night. Well, the only place that wasn't a bar.

This part I remember well. It was crowded, with the good-kid, after-high-school-dance crowd, and studious UCSB students looking for a quieter place than the dorms to study. Heidi's was big and drafty, but they didn't kick you out if you only got a piece of pie and a coffee. You could sit for hours.

We had to wait to be seated, and I remember thinking how the night wasn't over. Maybe, just maybe, all we needed was to be alone for my feminine charms to cast my spell on him. Of course, that was it... he was just embarrassed to show his feelings for me in front of anyone else. You know, the guys and all? Just look at him right now (I thought), there he is, carrying on with some stupid story, showing off with his back to me, waving his arms around...

OW!

He had paid so little attention to me, or where I was, that when he drew his arm back to demonstrate his point (How to throw a softball?) he caught me right in the left eye with his elbow. Hard.

Dead silence.

Then I started to laugh. What a perfect ending to a perfectly rotten night. My date stared at me in concern. I'm sure my laugh was rather maniacal.

"I think it's funny." I said and and started to cry.

But wait... the night still wasn't over.

1 comment:

tornwordo said...

Oh c'mon, more more....

You do remember everything. You remember the shirt I wore when we saw such and such a movie.