Sunday, April 30, 2006

I have weird feet. I don’t think they look deformed or anything, but they don’t follow the foot rules.

What are you talking about Rebekah? Feet are feet. There are no rules. Some are narrow, some are wide, some are big and some are small. Some are in between.

Oh no. Not me. I have to be different.

Now, I’m not vain about my feet. Yeah, I like to get pedicures in the summer when I wear sandals, and I’d like a little less roughness around my heels, but still.

They are just feet.

Here’s the deal. Because of the oddity of my feet, I wear size 6.5 to 8.5 depending on the shoe. Of course, some of that has to do with individual shoe companies. I do not believe they are all using the same measurements for the same size.

Remember when Limited and Limited Express first started? And all the sizes were much larger than we were used to? All of a sudden I was a size 8, when I was normally a size 12. What a great marketing scheme. If I could buy something in a size 8 and wear something in a size 8, then I could say I was a size 8.

I was never a size 8.

Well, except in shoes. I’ve read that your feet, nose and ears keep growing all your life. I don’t know about that, but I do know I won’t give up comfort for style any more.

So anyway, here’s the deal. I have very short toes. Child toes. Elfin toes, my friend calls them. If you measure my foot from toe to heel, they are size 6.5 or 7. If you measure my feet from the ball (widest part of the foot) to the heel, I’m a size 7.5 or 8. Now, for comfort, this means I usually wear a size 8, just due to the width of my foot.

But, sandal season is coming again. It’s hard for me to find sandals or open toed shoes that fit. Because?

Because my short little toes stay hidden underneath the strap or wherever they are supposed to stick out from. If I get a smaller size, the arch of the foot ends up hitting me in the wrong place.

Flip flops. Those always seem to work. But, there’s a limited number of places I can wear those.

And to add to this, even though it’s coming up on warmer weather, right now I’m going through a boot ordeal. In addition to having weird feet, I have very thick calves. Humongous calves, if you will. Now, they aren’t tree stumps; I do still have an ankle. It makes buying boots almost impossible. Well, so far it had been impossible. I’ve never owned real boots. See, if I get wide width boots, my feet swim around in them, because really, I don’t have wide feet. Regular-size boots just don’t fit over my calves. Even in high school, boots were just not made for me.

Imagine my hope and joy when I found these http://www.zappos.com/n/p/product_id/7184613.html

on Zappos.com. Wide calf boots! Only the calf was wide. The shoe part was normal. I ordered a pair in 8, my usual size.

Nope, should’ve read the reviews. They were huge. My foot could practically turn around inside them. Sent them back and ordered a full size down to 7. Got them last week. Still too big. I’m now waiting for a size 6.5. I hope they fit. They are really cute. Although, by the time I get them it might be June the way this is going.

Now, I know there are far more important things in the world than the size of my feet. There are far more important things in my life. Most of the things in my life, actually.

This is just more fun to write about than some of those other things.

2 comments:

tornwordo said...

You should have called that "foot babble". You found what? Boots and sandals that fit?

r said...

Gosh. Blogger just cut off the last part of my post. Had a devil of a time trying to make it work right.

It's all there now.

Cheers.