Friday, December 23, 2005

Wearing a tank top

Walked the doggie this morning, he rolled in something, and I had to give him a bath. All before 11 am. I've got a million things to do today, and a party to go to tonight. I'm trying to find something to wear, but everything's too big. That's a good thing, right? Well, yes, but I still need to clothe myself.

I suppose I could wear sweats, but that's not too festive. I really don't want to go and buy new clothes, because I'm not finished changing my size yet. I'm certainly not going outshoppng today.

I have the ingredients for the Pierogi, and am about to begin boiling the potatoes. Here's the recipe:

PIEROGI

DOUGH:
2 c. flour
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. water
about 1 tbsp. oil

Mound the flour on board and make a well at center. Drop in 2 eggs and cut into flour with knife. Add the salt and about 1/2 cup water and work by hand into uniform dough. Cover with warm bowl and let stand 10 minutes. Divide in 2 and roll out thin, cut into circles (with biscuit cutter or glass, 3-4 inches).

Place a teaspoon of filling in center of circle, fold over in half, pinch edges shut, sealing well and cook in large kettle of boiling salted water, about 5-8 minutes, after boiling resumes. Do not crowd, as they will rise to the top when they are done. (Boil just enough pierogi at a time to make a layer in your kettle.) Remove with slotted spoon to drain.

Soak in pan of melted butter, or serve plain with or without a touch of butter. Also, a mixture of bread crumbs with butter may be sprinkled over all. Another option is a dab of sour cream as desired.

FILLING FOR PIEROGI:
Potato: Peel, cook and mashed 1 1/2 pounds potatoes. Lightly brown medium chopped onions in 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or oil and add to cooled potatoes. Add 1 egg, 2 tablespoons bread crumbs (and optional 2 tablespoons chopped chives). Mix well.

Cheese and Potato: Cook and mash 1 pound potatoes. When cool, grind together with 1/2 pound farmer's cheese. Simmer 2 chopped medium onions in 3 tablespoons butter or oil until slightly browned. Add to mixture, season with salt and pepper; mix well.

Cheddar Cheese and Potatoes: Saute 1/2 cup finely chopped onion in 1 or 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or oil, or butter. Cook and mash 5 or 6 medium potatoes. Add the onions and 1 cup grated cheddar cheese. Mix well.

I'll be making the cheddar cheese and potatoes one. How can I miss? There's also prune and cabbage fillings, but they are both gross. Besides, after making 30 of these babies, all I'll want to do is take a nap.

I really hope the last box from Amazon shows up today. One of Carol's presents is in it.

Anyway, might be a couple of days before I post again. I already have plans on Monday and Tuesday for catching up with friends who are in town for the holiday.

Take care of yourselves.

1 comment:

tornwordo said...

You have a wonderful Christmas and tell Carol hello for me. Smooch!!!