Sunday, November 27, 2005

New Radio Station

You know how sometimes the smallest thing can make you happy? Well, my DirectTv now has XM radio stations, and they're great. They have silly names like "the blend" or "the loft" but they are absolutely suited to my taste. When one grows up in the late 70's and early 80's, James Taylor and Linda Rondstat have a lasting effect.

"The Blend is geared toward 40-somethings, "The Loft" more toward 50-somethings. This is my guess, but it's not stated anywhere. Both play music from the last 4 decades, but "The Loft" has more earlier stuff.

Anyway, it makes me smile. I don't know what all the other stations have; I'll have to spin through them to figure it out. It's nice to have music playing that's new, that's not annoying.

What an old person thing to say.

Oh, the picture below? It's the Wonder Dog, deciding, just as I sit down to write this, that it's time to play. He has an obsession with the empty toilet paper roll. He will go into the trash and pick it out if I'm not watching. He did a pretty good number on the roll in the picture before I got it away from him. When I was downloading the picture, he actually went into the bathroom and dug another one out. The guy's got a big basket of toys, and all he wants is that round of cardboard.

Weirdo dog.

So, I've not gotten done anything for school, so today will be a work day. I did get the darn soup finished; which was quite a production given my microscopic kitchen. More of an impression of a kitchen than a real one. I didn't take a picture of it because I was too embarrassed for you to see the messy state my stove and counters were in. Now it's all put into the freezer and fridge in tupperware, and that's a boring picture too.

I learned a lesson this weekend too. I'm not going out with Henrietta, my friend Cynthia's sister, again.

Let's see. I've known Cynthia's family since I was five years old. My first formal dance in high school was with Robert, Cynthia's older brother. He was a year older, Cynthia a year younger, and Henrietta, the same age as my sister, two years younger. Their mom and my dad worked at the same company for several years (until my dad got "laid off" after one particular company picnic where he got roaring drunk).

During high school, Robert and I were in the choir together, so he was more my friend than his sisters were. Cynthia was big into sports and Henrietta, well... she was big into everything. She hung out with the loadies by the oak tree in front of the school, but she was also one of the only 8 songleaders at our school (better than drill team or cheerleader for sure).

I know, I'm prefacing my story too much, but deal with it. It's my way.

Okay. So add Robert to the list of men I've dated who is now gay. That's not any surprise. Either I'm attracted to gay men who have already come out, and I'm just oblivious, or I'm attracted to a man who's conflicted. Dating me, or horror, the idea of sleeping with me, usually is enough to get them to accept their sexual identity.

Glad I have a purpose in life.

So, back to the sisters. Cynthia and I started hanging out after college with Katrina. Katrina had lived a few houses down from the sisters while we were growing up, so they had always been close. Cynthia is smart, quiet and very funny. She's one of those ladylike women who can say something scathingly sarcastic just under her breath, and unless you know her very well, you can't tell if she's kidding or not. I love her. Her sister? Not so much.

Suffice it to say that Henrietta is a fucking princess. She's always driven me nuts, but every few months I forget that and do something with her. She's funny, but she's LOUD. She doesn't want to be the center of attention at the table, no, she needs to be the center of attention at the restaurant. She's given to flinging her arms around dramatically, and pouting in what I believe she thinks is an attractive way. She's also a 39-year-old "actor" who has never had more than bit parts in commercials that air late at night.

No matter. She subscribes to the "you want to be important, you have to act important" school of thought. She thinks nothing of keeping everyone waiting, or inviting herself along when she hasn't been invited, or of sending back a half-full martini with "could you shake this with some ice please? It's not cold enough for me."

She borrows money from Cynthia and never pays it back, yet always has the most expensive and trendy clothes and make-up. She doesn't just drive an SUV, she drives a BMW SUV. I've seen her drop $900 on clothing at one store.

Yet, she is the cheapest woman I know when it comes to anyone else.

Most years, on Friday after Thanksgiving, I resolve to stay as far away from the stores as possible. And every year, Cynthia and Henrietta talk me into hanging out with them. Well, this years appeared to be going the same way.

I've gone on long enough. Stay tuned for Henrietta the Cheapskate.

1 comment:

tornwordo said...

Lol, can't wait to hear cheapskate stuff. And thanks for your comments today : - )