Thursday, July 21, 2005

Writer's Camp Anthology

For the Young Writer's Camp, each child picks one or two pieces he or she has been working on to publish in our end-of-camp anthology. It's a way for kids to see their work published, and feel like a real author. Problem is, camp is only 3 weeks long, and they have to have chosen their piece by today, Thursday of the second week. Frustrating, but that's how it goes with the printer and all.

The counselors have to choose a piece as well. It's hard for me, because most of what I write isn't exactly appropriate for 12-year-old eyes, or more importantly, the eyes of the parents of aforementioned 12-year-olds.

So, here's the version I will add to the camp anthology. Not profound, but clean and unoffensive:

Things I Have Lost

My favorite sweatshirt from Santa Cruz
Socks of many different hues

To my friend Cindy in the sixth grade,
The many games of Scrabble that we played

Keys, glasses, books and bills
Fear of falling out of windowsills

Money in a Las Vegas slot machine
Hours trying to make my house look clean

Paula, Lisa, Ted, all moved away
Addresses I no longer have today

Nana’s gold watch; no clue where that went
Most of the pencils to students I have lent

When I was little, my parents at the zoo
But I’ll never lose the love I have for you

3 comments:

tornwordo said...

Awww, that's nice. Perfect for the parents.

The Wisdom of Wislon said...

Sweet and true!

r said...

Problem is em, we have only a classroom to use. No phone, no computer, no copy machine... I don't even have a key for the door!

Putting together an anthology is plenty of work, with each camper responsible for just one page.

Phew! a chapbook each! You homeschool dreamer you.