Saturday, June 04, 2005

Material things I could do without, but don't want to.


1. My electric teakettle. It's fast, I never have to wash it, and it has automatic shut off. I messed up two regular tea kettles on the stove before I got the electric one; I’d fill it up, turn on the flame, leave the room, and half an hour, an hour later, I'd come back to a bone dry metal carcass on the stove. (I've also forgotten about eggs that I was boiling. Who knew they exploded when you do that?)

2. Half and Half for the tea I make with aforementioned electric teakettle. I only drink non-fat milk, and try to avoid things like butter and sour cream, but half and half in my English Breakfast tea with a little sugar is just the best way to start the day. It's decadent in a little way.

3. Scented candles. No, these are not necessary for reading at night, nor do I have a bathtub in which I have luxurious relaxation sessions. I just like scents. Some, like Pink Sugar, or Honey Buns, smell comforting and sweet. Others, like Cucumber Sandwiches or Ocean Breeze smell clean and cool. Even others help me relax, like my Vanilla Amber or Beach tins. I even had one, Grenadine and Chinese Lily, that I liked to burn when I was making dinner. It smelled elegant and refined. These candles do cost money, but last a long time. I have enough now that I’ve had to impose a candle-buying moratorium until I’ve used most of them up. Still, I wouldn’t want to give the ones I have away.

4. Netflix. Okay, I gave up Showtime, I gave up HBO, and then I gave up all but basic cable. In April 2004, I gave up cable completely. I get a very fuzzy channel three now (ABC), and once in a while the local PBS station comes in. So, Netflix. I pay about 20 bucks a month, and have 3 movies out at any time. Talk about convenience. No going to the video store and wandering around hoping something will catch my eye, and no running out at 10:50 at night to return my movie in time. Yes, it’s an indulgence, but one I truly enjoy.

5. Kleenex tissues with lotion: I know, what a marketing rip-off, right? No, it isn’t. When you have allergies every six out of seven days, and you are sneezing and wiping your nose nonstop, it’s no time for generic tissues. You know the industrial strength ones in which you can even see tiny bits of bark? They are bad. I buy generic laundry detergent, and generic dish soap. I buy the cheapest brand usually of whatever it is I need. But, not with my tissues. When Kleenex came out with the lotions ones a few years ago, I bought a box just to see what the big whoop was about. I can tell you, it’s a big whoop. No longer do I have to fear wiping my nose will hurt. No more are the sides of my nose red and cracked. No more do I have to worry about those dry little pieces of skin that stay just barely attached to my nostril and make people think I have boogies hanging off my nose. And, the tissues are strong. No more do I have to worry about blowing my nose too hard, and breaking through the tissue into my hand. Yes, this is something I could do without… but am glad I don’t have to.

1 comment:

tornwordo said...

Funny stuff. And I didn't know eggs exploded. But then, I've never forgotten about eggs boiling on the stove.