Thursday, June 30, 2005

Is it too much work to respond?

I had lots of errands to run today, and was struck by how easy it is for some folks to be friendly and mannered, and how surprisingly unpleasant some can be.

First off, went to get one of my 3 pedicures a year at Modern Nails. I've been going there for at least 10 years (used to have fake nails!) and I always ask for J. She doesn't speak English too well, but always has a nice word for me, and a smile no matter what. I like her.

Then to the bank. I was making a withdrawal for my upcoming trip to Vegas with Tornwordo, and the teller seemed to find it impossible to look at me, or speak to me in more than mono-syllables. She didn't even count out the money audibly, which I thought was weird. I spoke directly to her about a deposit slip, and she couldn't be bothered to stop what she was doing, nor even look up. I had to ask again. And I'm about 1 foot away from her! In these situations I get overly polite; "I ho-ope you have a guuuud day now!" Anyone with a brain can guess I'm being sarcastic, but not 100% sure.

So then, I go to pay off a bill. The woman there is by herself, answering phones, taking payments and giving out loans. And, she's got an earphone on too. Turns out she's supposed to be listening in on a conference call as well. She doesn't have the papers she's supposed to, so when they say over the phone, "Turn to page three," she doesn't know what they're talking about. I know this because in the midst of all this, she tells me. Everything. She wasn't rude, but I just wanted to pay my bill and be off.

Then it's off to get a bikini wax. No, no Brazilian for me. Actually, I used to get bikini waxes all the time, back when I wore a bathing suit more often. Even though I'm fair, I have these frighteningly black hairs that grow at a 45 degree angle out of my skin. No matter how close I shave, I've got stubble.

Too much information? Sorry.

Anyway, G. does my waxing, and is very talkative and pleasant. This is important because ripping out hair near my womanly bits is painful. Forget putting the Koran in the toilet, or making men at Quantanimo Bay stand naked with their hands in the air; just give them a genital waxing. And we, we women, pay for it! Honestly, I had a gift certificate, so I didn't technically pay for it. I think it's only fair if women get it done (and you know, they do it for their partners. I could be wrong, but I don't believe anyone gets a Brazilian just because they like the way it looks.), that men get it done too. I've always felt this way about armpit hair. Why don't men shave that? How does the anti perspirant get to the skin with all that fuzz?

I digress yet again.

Next up is The Wherehouse. I have to return a movie from last night (Being Julia, which I had already rented, but had forgotten. I hate when I do that). They were also having a clearance sale on VHS tapes. I got Chicago, Anti-Trust and The Thomas Crown Affair for $1.99 each. That's the same as renting them! It's always good to have a couple of movies around. So, I take them up to the register, and she rings 'em up.
"That's $10.74 please." Without looking at me.
"um, they were all $1.99 tapes."
"Nope, one was $5.99."
She's already put them in the bag as she was ringing them up. She's still not looking at me.
"Well, they were all marked $1.99..."
"Nope, one was more. It rang up at $5.99."
"Yes, I know, but all three tapes were clearly marked $1.99."
She finally takes the tapes out of the bag and sees that yes, they are all marked $1.99. Immediately she apologizes about her mistake, several times, and rings it up correctly. Tells me to have a good one as I leave.

See, she was a bit of a pain, but then fixed it by being polite. Manners can take us so far, and yet they seem to be, to more than one person, a quaint waste of time.

Went to a little knick knack store to buy some little knick knacks for Tornwordo's impending 40th birthday, and I bring my items to the register. The man behind the counter is ripping someone on the other end of the phone a new asshole. I just want to buy my stuff.
"Shit!" he says after he hangs up. Then, in a forced voice, "How are you today?"
I try to be funny, "Better than you , I think. Ha ha."
He didn't laugh.

Then, on to the vet for Charlie's allergy pills, to the gas station to fill up, to Ross to exchange a pair of pants that I bought the wrong size of, then to Long's to get a spare key made (I'd gone a few days ago, but the key they made for me at that time didn't work.), and lastly to La Salsa. I will say that their Lime-chile Chicken salad is quite good.


So, for the most part, people were mannered, if not downright friendly. However, those poo poo heads out there (do you even know who you are?) really can affect me. Why is it, when someone who's job it is to help or assist others is having a bad day, we, the customer takes the brunt of it? Like saying "hello" or making eye contact would kill them?

I'm glad I'm going to Vegas. Everyone is pretty nice in Vegas. They want your money, but they are nice.

1 comment:

chella said...

another great piece of writing--on manners. yes, manners. ye olde 18th-century concern of how people behave toward one another. i like your contemporary take, especially the comment to the guy on the phone.