Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Good Things About My Dad

Some of you know I have a difficult relationship with my father. I meant to write this before Father's Day, but couldn't.

Tell me what you think. Changes that need to be made. Should I send it to him?

Good Things About My Dad

1. He taught me how to jump waves in Mexico.

2. Every summer he would drive us to Camp Pilgrim Pines one weekend, and pick us up the next. It was a 5-hour drive each way.

3. If I went with him to the store or the dump, he would buy me a Slurpee.

4. He got scared when I broke my arm.

5. When I got sick, he would give me one of his red hankies to blow my nose.

6. For every bite I took off my plate, he’d take another, when mom wasn’t looking.

7. He wrote to me and said he was sorry for how he left Mom.

8. On Cathedral Oaks Road, he always sped up over the dip.

9. He got out the atlas to see where I was going to live when I got the job in Japan.

10. In 1977, during the Super Bowl game, he drove to the beach to look for me (I knew where I was).

11. After my car broke down for the fourth time, he lent me the $450 to fix it. Then he didn’t make me pay it back.

12. When I was in second grade, he joined Indian Maidens with me.

13. He let me pick out the cashews in his can of mixed nuts.

14. Sometimes after dinner, he would read to us from Erma Bombeck or Bill Cosby.

15. It took him two hours of driving on a Sunday to rescue me from the Los Angeles Greyhound station where I was stranded one weekend. He just made a joke about it when he saw me.

16. I know he still worries about me.

3 comments:

tornwordo said...

That is nice. Any dad would like that I imagine. Why not send it?

pushthebutton,max! said...

I can't think of a nicer thing to send him.

Crap, I bought my Dad's card nearly a month ago, and it's still here. Didn't want to send it too early, now it's late. Grr.

chella said...

i love the list as your dad would. send it! life is short, and people are precious despite their weirdnesses. easy for me to say, right? families can be challenging!