Tuesday, May 24, 2005

40 sure doesn't feel like the new 30

So.

I'm trying this yet again. Don't know how long I'll keep at it; I lasted about 5 days over at live journal. This time I have at least one friend here to keep me company, Tornwordo... my dear friend Rick who now lives too damn far away from me.

Let's see, so far this year I've had skin cancer (removed, not the really bad kind, but then, is there any kind of cancer that's not the bad kind?), broken a tooth and paid $1000 for my first crown, tore some fibers in my calf muscle while I was ... walking, gotten Bronchitis, coughed so hard from the Bronchitis that I pulled a muscle in my neck and shoulder, and was a bridesmaid for the seventh time.

Oh, and my father stopped speaking to me in September.

It's been a banner year so far.

I haven't written anything of merit since September either, just about 100 different versions of a letter to my dad, all of which I didn't send. I did finally send one, maybe I'll post it here when I'm feeling more energetic.

My writing group (like a book club, except we get together and share our writing 1x a month) is probably getting ready to throw me out. I need to get some real writing done.

But, that won't be tonight. Tomorrow is the big poetry recitation in my class. I set everything up to look like a coffee house; plants, candles, jazz music, a beaded door curtain... and all the desks are arranged to look like tables. Instead of coffee though,they're getting the cheap orange drink and Von's brand cookies. They will act appalled, but they will all eat it.

This is my favorite project of the whole year, but usually I write poems with my students. This year I didn't write any.

Gotta go to bed.

1 comment:

tornwordo said...

I love your first post here. And what a great class project, sounds so cool. And I loved the bit about the orange drink and vons cookies.

Keep it up!